Summer Enrollment for HHSC Ends July 22
Summer enrollment is here. HHSC employees can make changes to their Plan Year 2018 benefits until July 22. The enrollment periods for DADS, DSHS and DFPS employees have ended.
Changes take effect Sept. 1. If you don't have any changes to make, you do not need to do anything. Your current coverage will continue.
ERS is hosting summer enrollment fairs around the state. Fairs help employees make informed decisions about their benefits during summer enrollment. Fairs are free and open to all employees and retirees under age 65.
For more information on summer enrollment, visit the ERS website.
What can I do during summer enrollment?
Health, Vision and Dental Benefits
- Enroll in or make changes to your health, vision or dental coverage.
- Add or drop dependents to or from your plans.
- Switch to an HMO if you live or work in an eligible county.
Optional Term Life, Dependent Term Life
and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Apply to increase life insurance coverage, with evidence of insurability.
- Decrease or drop life insurance coverage.
- Enroll in dependent term life insurance, with EOI.
- Drop dependent term life insurance for your dependents.
- Enroll in, increase or drop accidental death and dismemberment coverage. EOI is not required.
- Enroll in and change your contributions to:
- Your health care flexible spending account.
- Consider any carryover amount from your previous balance (up to $500) in your calculation.
- Your dependent care flexible spending account.
- Consider any remaining funds that can be used through Nov. 15 in your calculation.
- Your commuter spending account.
- You can enroll in or change your contributions to the commuter spending accounts throughout the year.
- Limited flexible spending account, for Consumer Directed HealthSelect participants only.
Texas Income Protection Plan Disability Insurance
What’s new this year?
New HealthSelect of Texas Plan Administrator
Starting Sept. 1, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas will be the new plan administrator for HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect. Blue Cross Blue Shield will manage the provider network, process claims, oversee wellness and disease-management programs, and provide customer service. Learn more about the change on the ERS website.
Slight Increase in Health Insurance Premiums
There will be a small increase in health plan premiums. Dependent premiums for HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect will not increase more than 1 percent, and there will be a slight increase in State of Texas Dental Choice preferred provider organization premiums.
- Compare health plans by reviewing the Employee Health Plan Comparison chart.
Scott & White Plan
Beginning Sept. 1, Scott & White Health Plan will no longer be available as a health plan option if you live or work in one of the following counties: Coke, Coleman, Concho, Crocket, Irion, Kimble, Mason, McCulloch, Menard, Reagan, Runnels, Schleicher, Sterling, Sutton or Tom Green. If you live or work in one of these counties and are enrolled in Scott & White Health Plan, you will automatically be enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas unless you enroll in Consumer Directed HealthSelect during summer enrollment.
There currently is an administrative fee holiday for TexFlex health care, dependent care and limited flexible spending accounts. Participants will not have to pay the $12 administrative fee. There’s no additional cost for debit cards for the health care and limited accounts. The administrative fee for commuter spending accounts continues to be $3.
The IRS has increased the contribution limits for TexFlex health care and limited flexible spending accounts from $2,550 to $2,600. If you want to increase your annual contribution, you need to do so during summer enrollment.
Summer Enrollment Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I make changes?
Sign in to your online account on the ERS website, contact the Service Center at 888-894-4747 or call ERS at 877-275-4377.
Do I have to make changes during summer enrollment?
If you do not want to change your benefits, you do not need to take any action. Your benefit elections, including your annual election amounts for TexFlex flexible spending accounts, will not change.
What is evidence of insurability?
Evidence of insurability is required to add coverage such as optional life, dependent life or disability insurance. All EOI requests must be initiated online during summer enrollment.
What is the health insurance opt-out credit?
This credit is for employees who waive the state’s health insurance because they have comparable or better coverage through another provider. A credit of up to $60 a month for a full-time employee, or up to $30 a month for a part-time employee, is applied toward that employee’s dental or voluntary accidental death and dismemberment coverage. More information is available on the Health Insurance Opt-Out Credit page on the ERS website.
When should I call the HHS Employee Service Center at 888-894-4747?
- You have a qualifying life event, such as a birth or marriage during summer enrollment.
- You were hired within the past 30 days and would like to make changes to your coverage.